Important article from
"Robotics experts tell Congress the U.S. is in danger of losing the international robot race
It’s time to invest. Big time.
- For robotics systems to expand in manufacturing industries, roboticists need to develop interfaces that can be used by human workers with little to no training.
- Researchers should build robots that match human mobility to “negotiate stairs, elevators, doorways, curbs, broken concrete, cluttered environments and go where people go” in order to extend automation beyond warehouse settings.
- Surgical robots should eventually be able to “estimate user’s intent, rather than simply executing the user’s commands that may be subject to human imperfections.”
- In 15 years, the roadmap suggests that autonomous
driving “will be indistinguishable from humans except that robot drivers
will be safer and more predictable than a human driver with less than
one year’s driving experience.”
- Highlight Robotics in Education.